Thursday, May 5, 2011

Short Story Contest: Honorable Mention #3

Read about the contest.

-------------------
A New Beginning by Aden Lessiak
Linganore High School - Frederick County, Maryland

“Don’t open the box,” my father always told me. I was only seven when he gave it to me. It was the day after my mother had died, and I had been sitting on my bed musing over old photographs. He walked in as I was looking at a picture of my mother and me at a park, one which was probably long gone by now. These days, you hardly ever see a tree, let alone a vast grassy field. He gently placed the box on a shelf hanging across my bed, and then left. I was so consumed, I almost didn’t notice him. Only the creak of the wooden floor boards let me know he was there. Just as he was passing back through the doorway, I heard him whisper those words that I would suffer through time and time again: “Don’t open the box.”

Read the full story.

No comments:

Post a Comment

GAITHERSBURG
BOOK
FESTIVAL

SATURDAY
MAY 21, 2011
10AM - 6PM


GAITHERSBURG
CITY HALL
GROUNDS

FREE
ADMISSION
AND PARKING

Gaithersburg Logo