Friday, February 25, 2011

Passing Childrens' Books Down to the Next Generation

Parenting magazine recently polled its readers about the top books that parents pass down to their kids, and the reason why the parents love them so.

My all-time favorite - "Harold and the Purple Crayon" - is on the Parenting list. I've loved that story, and its imaginative, artistic boy, since first discovering it in the waiting room of my childhood dentist's office. My second favorite - "The Lorax" - wasn't on the list. My grandmother read me that book, and now it has become one of my son's favorites. The underlying message about the importance of protecting the environment, the consequences of greed and the overwhelming need for useless things like "thneeds" ring even more true today than when I read "The Lorax" more than three decades ago.

Are any of your favorites included? If not, tell us which ones you've shared with your kids, and why these books are so important to you.

1 comment:

  1. Two of my favorites for little ones that didn't make the list: Hooper Humperdink, Not Him (which is funny and teaches kids about leaving someone out) and The Diggingest Dog.

    Of those on the list: Where the Sidewalk Ends is always a classic. A co-worker gave it to me/Laura as a gift when she was born. I also loved the Mrs. Piggle Wiggle books as a kid. (I'd totally forgotten about Mrs. Piggle Wiggle!) And any Judy Blume is a classic for the tween girl.

    ReplyDelete

GAITHERSBURG
BOOK
FESTIVAL

SATURDAY
MAY 21, 2011
10AM - 6PM


GAITHERSBURG
CITY HALL
GROUNDS

FREE
ADMISSION
AND PARKING

Gaithersburg Logo