Wednesday, April 20, 2011

GBF Author Q&A with... Mary Amato

Name: Mary Amato
Books: Edgar Allen's Official Crime Investigation Notebook, Invisible Lines, Chicken of the Family, Please Write In This Book, The Naked Mole-Rat Letters, The Word Eater, and The Riot Brothers series

Mary's Website

Where do you find inspiration?
People inspire me. I believe that fiction writers are like spies... we're constantly on the lookout for interesting characters.

What advice do you have for aspiring authors?
Many people can write a beautiful sentence, but that isn't all that writing fiction is about. Writing fiction is about getting into a character's mind and really seeing the world through those eyes. I encourage writers to spend time imagining that they are their characters and to write from that unique place.

What book has inspired or affected you in some way?
When I was about ten years old, I read "Harriet the Spy" by Louise Fitzhugh and it changed my life. Harriet was this quirky kid who spied on people and wrote down truths in her notebook. I wanted to be a writer at the time, but I didn't know any writers and didn't think it was possible. That character gave me permission to write.

No comments:

Post a Comment

GAITHERSBURG
BOOK
FESTIVAL

SATURDAY
MAY 21, 2011
10AM - 6PM


GAITHERSBURG
CITY HALL
GROUNDS

FREE
ADMISSION
AND PARKING

Gaithersburg Logo