Thursday, May 12, 2011

GBF Author Q&A with... Alison Hart

Author: Alison Hart
Books:
More than 20, including A Spy on the Home Front: A Molly Mystery (American Girl Mysteries Series), Taking the Reins (American Girl Innerstar University Series), Whirlwind, Gabriel's Journey, Gabriel's Triumph, Gabriel's Horses and Shadow Horse

Alison's website

Where do you find inspiration?
For me, inspiration comes from a variety of places. Newspapers and true life provide fodder for mysteries. History sparks ideas for my historical fiction. For the American Girl Innerstar U series I am getting into sports such as skijoring and canicross that I never knew existed!

What advice do you have for aspiring authors?
I call them the four Ps. Polish your work, be incredibly persistent, remember that writing is a professional career (not just a creative outlet), and have abundant patience!

What are you reading right now?
Every book on snowboarding and dogsledding I can get my hands on (obviously this is for research).

What's your favorite opening line from a book?
There is no favorite opening line, but I love the beginning of "The Great Gilly Hopkins" by Katherine Patterson.

What book has inspired or affected you in some way?
Every book I read affects me. I love research because I read books on topics that I would never chose to read unless I was ‘forced.’ When I researched my Gabriel trilogy ("Gabriel’s Horses," "Gabriel’s Triumph" and "Gabriel’s Journey"), I read over two hundred books on the Civil War. The journals and diaries were especially fascinating.

No comments:

Post a Comment

GAITHERSBURG
BOOK
FESTIVAL

SATURDAY
MAY 21, 2011
10AM - 6PM


GAITHERSBURG
CITY HALL
GROUNDS

FREE
ADMISSION
AND PARKING

Gaithersburg Logo